Transform Your Bedroom into a 5-Star Hotel Room with Soft, Luxurious Pillows
You don’t need to be a sleep researcher to know the importance of a good night’s sleep. Getting enough rest has benefits for mental and physical health that go far beyond feeling awake and alert during the day. There are many lifestyle changes that can help improve your sleep, as well as some hard to control variables like temperature, stress, noise pollution and artificial light. But there’s one thing that’s easy to fix just the once, and reap the benefits from night after night. And that’s your bedding.
Ever wonder why you sleep better in a luxury hotel room? It’s got a lot to do with the luxurious bedding. Consider your mattress, duvet, pillows, and your bedsheets themselves, all the things you sleep on and wrap yourself in every night. These can have a huge effect on the quality of your sleep.
In this blog we’re going to look at your pillows, and how to choose the right ones for you. We’ll look at the different pillow types and brands, which ones will work for your sleeping preferences, and how luxury pillows can transform your sleep. We’ll also cover what pillowcases to choose and how to create that 5-star feel. Love the supreme comfort of a luxury hotel room? Why not bring it into your very own home.
What are luxury pillows?
There are many benefits to investing in high-quality pillows. From longevity to the firmness and support, you get a whole lot more options to suit your particular sleeping styles and fabric preferences. Luxury pillows, especially those made with natural materials, will often be far more breathable too, allowing your head to breathe as the temperature of your bedroom fluctuates. This breathability is what will keep you asleep for longer, allowing for a restful night’s sleep.
Premium materials like down, feather, organic wool or bamboo
Synthetic fibres, polyester, cotton blends
Range of firmness options available
Limited firmness options
Ergonomic support options for your head and neck
Many 100% natural, hypoallergenic options
Synthetic fibres or poor quality down can cause allergies
High breathability for temperature regulation
Synthetic fibres or poor design can trap heat
Longer lifespan with proper care
May flatten or bunch over time
The best UK pillows at Rise & Fall
Rise & Fall crafts 100% natural pillows made from organic wool or recycled down fill. Both are encased in 100% cotton for all-round temperature regulating benefits. They are highly breathable, supportive and sustainable too.
For the best luxury hotel pillows made in the UK, try Rise & Fall. Don’t just take our word for it, see what customers have to say.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ “Very good quality; comfortable regardless of the position in which you sleep. Have been using it for 2 weeks, and I would purchase it again.” - Lulia (The Organic Wool Pillow)
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ “Bought the medium one and it’s perfect. Good support but still soft enough to feel very luxurious.” - Maggie (The Recycled Down Pillow)
Choosing the right pillow for you
Whether you’re looking to buy pillows for yourself or for your whole family, there are many factors to think about when choosing a pillow. Here are a few to get you started:
- Material: Choose from a variety of materials, like luxury feather pillows, down, synthetic down alternatives, wool, memory foam, latex, and shredded foam. Each material has its own unique pros and cons. Memory foam for instance fits the contour of your head and neck and distributes weight evenly. It does however retain heat, which can be uncomfortable - especially if you’re a hot sleeper.
- Allergies: Some people will be more affected by certain materials than others and may need a hypoallergenic pillow made of a down alternative or 100% organic wool.
- Firmness level: Pillows come in a variety of firmness levels, from luxury soft pillows to medium and firm. Experiment with different firmness levels to find one that is most comfortable for your needs.
- Sleeping position: Back sleepers typically need a slimmer, softer pillow that provides good support for the neck while maintaining the shape of the spine. Side sleepers need a pillow that is soft enough to conform to the shape of their head (and delicate ears!) whilst also holding the head up and keeping the spine straight. Stomach sleepers typically need a thin pillow or no pillow at all.
- Age and body shape: A child will need a very different pillow to a fully grown adult, usually thinner and less lofty. While a side sleeper with very wide shoulders will need the thickest pillow of all.
- Sustainability: Not all pillows have the same environmental impact. Synthetic pillows may require more fossil fuels to make and will end up in landfill for example, while natural pillows are fully biodegradable. Check the materials and certifications to see how sustainable your pillow choice is.
- Price: Pillows can range in price from around £4 to £400 or more. Consider your budget when choosing.
- Warranty: Some pillow brands offer warranties on their pillows which can be helpful if you’re investing a lot of money. (Though bear in mind if you return that pillow to get your money back, it is likely to end up in landfill.)
Complete the look with luxury pillowcases
A good pillow will only get you so far. You can have the best pillow in the world but if you put it in an uncomfortable, scratchy synthetic pillowcase you won’t enjoy your sleep one bit. Here’s what to look for when shopping for luxury pillowcases to go with your new pillows.
- Breathable fabrics like 100% cotton, organic cotton or European linen
- Quality fibres that feel soft and smooth against your skin
- Long-lasting quality so you don’t have to replace your pillowcases too quickly
- A colour that will suit your style and decor
- Value for money
The best luxury pillowcases
At Rise & Fall we have some of the best pillowcases in the UK. We source only the finest natural materials like extra-long staple cotton, organic cotton or European-grown linen. Our expert manufacturers weave it into beautifully soft fabrics and stitch those fabrics into beautifully finished pillowcases. And thanks to our unique business model, these hotel quality sheets are available at remarkable prices. We have both oxford and housewife pillowcases to choose from depending on your style preferences.
Whether you’re looking for white pillowcases, neutral shades or rich earthy colours, there are lots of options to play with. For a warm tonal look try olive or ochre linen pillowcases. For that extra crisp hotel style, try luxury white pillowcases with navy piping. They bring a smart and timeless preppy look that will have you dreaming of 5-star luxury.
How to transform your bedroom into a 5-star hotel
Wouldn’t it be nice to move into a 5-star hotel for the foreseeable future? With the right bedding and a few tricks, you can bring that luxurious hotel feel into your bedroom. Here are 6 tips to get you on your way.
1. First make your bed
There’s nothing more luxurious than coming back to a perfectly made hotel bed every night – especially if you get a turndown service with a little chocolate on the pillow. But at home, you can recreate this by making your own bed. Do it as soon as you wake up and your bedroom will immediately feel more zen.
2. Buy luxury pillows
Unless you’re resting your head on blissfully soft pillows, you’re not going to get that 5-star feeling. Invest in supportive, breathable and well-finished pillows that will help you drift off and stay asleep. Consider temperature-regulating natural fabrics like down or organic wool for the best pillow (and sleep).
3. Choose quality sheets
That wonderful moment when you climb into your hotel bed for the first time and stretch out under the sheets is usually made by the high-quality bedding. Choose natural bedding with a high thread count and super smooth fibres that feel great against your skin. It’s worth investing in bedding that will keep its softness over time so you don’t have to keep buying new whenever your sheets start bobbling. Look for long-staple cotton, organic cotton.
4. Minimize visual clutter
Part of what makes hotel rooms so relaxing is the fact you haven’t brought your whole life with you. When you first arrive, they’re usually in impeccable shape with clean lines and everything in order. Minimise visual clutter in your bedroom by tidying away any work, hobbies or dirty laundry. Put things away in drawers and cupboards and corral any little bits that need to be out onto trays or into baskets. If your mind has less to take in, you will feel a lot calmer.
5. Keep lighting soft
Hotels use all sorts of tricks to help you feel calm and ready for bed. One of these is soft, low lighting. Add bedside lamps in warm, soothing tones, try fairy lights or natural salt lamps that give off a soft pink glow. Lightweight curtains provide privacy but also double up as a lighting softener, making the room feel more inviting and luxurious.
6. Set the scene with smell
When planning a truly calming space you have to consider all the senses. Use a diffuser, scented candle or room spray to achieve that luxuriously fresh feel of a boutique hotel room.
With the right pillows, bedding and a few extra tips, it’s easy to transform your bedroom into a 5-star hotel room. You will feel calmer, and more collected when you enter the space and your sleep will feel the benefits. When shopping for pillows, duvets and bedding, look for high-quality, natural fabrics and fibres, reliable material certifications and sourcing information. Buy right once and sleep well forever.
Explore our collection of 100% natural breathable pillows in a range of fills, firmness and sizes for better, breezier sleep.